Saturday 28 September 2024

St Luke Garford

 

Now I have been to St Luke Garford before but I felt it was time I arranged a second visit to see inside and for a change it was on a Sunday when I knew the church was open for an hour or so. Before you read on you might like to church out the link above where you can see the church from across the farmyard. This time I could not see the church but the entrance to the churchyard was in the same place. I would like to point out the church is behind the farm and not easy to see, I only came across it from looking on an OS map. It is one worth visiting and is open on Sunday from 11-12.

"Since at least the 13th century, Garford has been part of the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Marcham. The Church of England chapel of Saint Luke dates from the 13th century, but was largely rebuilt in 1880 by Gothic Revival architect Edwin Dolby. The east window of the chancel is a pair of 13th-century lancets and the south doorway of the nave is also largely 13th century. There is a 14th- or 15th-century window in the south wall of the nave, and a 16th- or 17th-century window on the south side of the chancel. The chapel's other windows are largely Victorian. The ancient windows seem to occupy roughly the same positions in the rebuilt chapel as they did in the original building. There is a wooden bell-turret with one bell."

South side from over the churchyard

Looking from the south west

There is little room on the north side to show the whole church unless I jumped the fence into a paddock

North door

Looking from the north east, the roof looks like it was lower at some time

South east view of the church

Back to the west end

This is the churchyard as you come in the gate

Looking east, you can see the farmyard over to the right

Graves at the east end of the church

The graves are cut but the people buried there forgotten about

Looking west along the south side of the church

East end from the entrance

The porch

Inside the door is open, well I did see the churchwardens go in and had a nice chat with them about the church so I am grateful to them for what they told me

 
Looking down the nave

The rood screen

Closer view of the rood screen. the old roof can be seen which should match up with what I saw outside

The altar and reredo behind

closer view of the reredo

and the east window which it partly covers

Looking back though the nave to the west end

View down the nave from the back of the church

The mural on the wall over the rood screen

You get a better view looking from the side a little

Behind the rood screen you will find the choir stalls

Which are in an L shape

The pulpit which is quite minimalist

Looking down on the pews which I am glad to see, many churches replace them for chairs which are no more comfortable IMO, the pews at character to a church

Now this egg timer I was told was turned over at the start of the sermon by the vicar and should take no longer than when the sands ran out. The look stuck to me!!

The north aisle

inside the chapel at the end a couple of banners and an altar, there is also and old church chest

Looking back through the north aisle to the vestry

This is the roll of honor, I was told that at the time the population was about 50-100 people, the loss of ten men must have been felt greatly by everyone

I came across this fading hand written roll which I found even more moving

A few of the beautiful pictures in the church

The stained glass lancet at the back showing St Luke

The church has some beautiful stained glass to see

Considering the size of the church

It is well loved and looked after

One of the plain glass window, still beautiful to see

Clerks desk and holey water stoup

The font

I will leave you with this shot of the chandelier in the chancel

Till next time may I wish you all a peaceful week

No comments: