Saturday 11 May 2024

St Mary Holwell

 

On my way from from Westwell to Shilton I drove through some narrow West Oxfordshire roads which went right past this St Mary Westwell, I felt I had the time to have a quick look around the church but found the door locked. The village which is more of a hamlet of a few houses seemed quite small to even have a church of it's own but rather than walk away I took a few photos of the church and churchyard.

"During the time that Robert de Chesney was Bishop of Lincoln (1148–66), land at Holwell was given to the Cistercian Abbey at Bruern. The Church of England parish church of Saint Mary was built in the 13th century. It was rebuilt in 1842 and again in 1895. The latter rebuilding was designed by the architect Walter Mills of Banbury, using a Gothic Revival interpretation of Perpendicular Gothic. St Mary's parish is now part of the Benefice of Shill Valley and Broadshire, which includes also the parishes of Alvescot, Black Bourton, Broadwell, Broughton Poggs, Filkins, Kelmscott, Kencot, Langford, Little Faringdon, Shilton and Westwell"

My first thought on looking at the church was it was Victorian with a bell cote on the west end

West end with bellcote

North west view

South east view

The east end with window

 
North east view with the vestry entrance
 

The churchyard over by the north boundary wall

The tomb of Maria Fox

Headstones over at the west of the church

South side of the church

 
 South west churchyard

That's it for this church as it was locked I could not see inside, I think it's a case of arranging a visit to see inside though I'm not sure if it is worth it unless I am back around the area

This week you get two for one as after visiting Shilton I drove past St Britius  Brize Norton so I took a chance to stop off for a Quick look but again it was locked but I did find out the churchwarden lived nearby

A quick look of the churchyard showed a couple of bale tombs

Another further along a little eroded

This church begs a revisit so I will arrange a visit

I will leave you this week with a collage of headstones and tombs

Till next time have a peaceful week

6 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Such a shame that both of these churches were locked, Billy, when you visited. Hope you can revisit them when you can have full access.
Blessings!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I'm not sure about revisiting the 1st one but I do hope to return to the second

Ragged Robin said...

Such a shame both were locked. I hope you can arrange to go inside.

EricaSta said...

I don`t know Maria Fox and must look for. Another round of MosaicMonday in beautiful May... and I am very happy about your contribution.

Thank you for your participation. Have a good time, best wishes from Heidrun

Linda said...

Well, you got nice exterior photos.

RachelSwirl said...

The tomb is really impressive - Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.