Saturday, 10 October 2026

Wesley memorial Church, Oxford

 

The full name is Wesley Memorial Methodist Church and you can find it along New Inn Hall Street Oxford. It has one of the spires that Oxford is Famous for. Every time I have walked past it was closed but today was Oxford Open Doors and the Ride & Stride even so I went there next on my little tour around

This is the only photo you see from the outside, no churchyard to look around. |You can read some history on the church here 


 Inside the church quite a large space with chairs instead of the old pews

The altar here bought forward

The altar looking towards the west wall

Paneled west wall with door

Above it all is the rose west window

Pulpit up against the west wall, no doubt taken off a plinth and moved here

Back through the church to the east end

The east window above the gallery

The organ which is where the chancel would have been

 Beautiful model of the chruch

The front of the model

Going up on the gallery these are the seats facing down the church

Behind is the magnificent east window

North and south gallery's 

Looking down from the gallery

another view 

The beautiful looking rose window

The Stained glass windows on the south side

Look even better viewing across the galleries 

Going back down the stairs I noticed this umbrella holder with cups to hold the water


Brass memorials

The Roll of honour for the church from WWI with the name of Hardy F Parsons VC standing out

Second WWI roll of honour, I should have read up on this one


Couple of more stained glass windows

The font, very unusual looking

I'll leave you with this view of he spire from the Botley road the dome behind is the Ratciffe camera

Till next time have  a peaceful week 

No comments: