Saturday, 3 October 2026

St Frideswide, Osney

 

Last time I visited this church was many years ago and I took some photos around the outside as the church was locked. I did contact the vicar with a view to visiting but never got around to arranging it. This Septembers Oxford Open Doors event gave me the opportunity to visit again. There are no headstones to see so I presume all burials are in the local cemetery at Botley

 No point in me copy and pasting you can read the history on Wikipedia

East end with apse

West end, the church is linked to the rectory with a covered walkway

 Another view of the west end

Back to the east

 South side of the church looking to the walkway 

And the north east

Nave from behind the font

Nave proper

Chancel into the apse

The altar and east windows

The altar which is nicely carved and decorated

Rearedos and east window


 Right and left east windows

Looking up at the arched ceiling

Organ pipes

View to the back where refreshments were laid on

The pulpit, I'm not sure what the base is from in front, could be from a column out of an abbey 

View from the pulpit

Nice stained glass, pre raphaelite from the look 

Angels either side of the Roll of Honour

The Roll of Honour is from the parish of St Frideswide, It a lot of wasted lives for a church this size

This is nearby but I did not find out the information on it

The Alice door, think Alice in Wonderland

The carving in it 


 This will tell you about the door



North chapel which I think is the lady Chapel 

Some more nice stained glass

Madonna and child

St Frideswide mothers union banner

Angels along the wall

One of the angels, I was told where they came from but have forgotten 

Eagle lectern

Crucifixion which I feel has come from another church

This memorial is to L.Edwards R.A.M.C who was on the hospital ship HMHS Lanfranc when it was sunk 

Modern day banner

Font with nave in the background


I will leave you with this floral display

Till next time have a peaceful week 


 


No comments: