Saturday, 25 July 2026

St James, Kinnersley


 St James Kinnersley was the next church on my visit though I admit I did think about visiting on my last tour of the area. This time I was combining it with a quick visit to Bredwardine 

This is what is said about the church in Wikipedia 

 The Grade I parish church of Church of St James was restored and improved over many years by George Frederick Bodley, winner of the Royal Gold Medal for architecture in 1899, who had married Minna Reaveley in 1872. Minna was a daughter of the family who at that time owned Kinnersley Castle. Bodley is buried in a Grade II monument in the churchyard. Adjacent to the east from the church is the Grade II* Kinnersley Castle

After talking to the churchwarden who I met going in the churchyard I wandered around the churchyard and came across this picnic area opposite the church 

 Similar view to the first showing the south west but I clipped the top of the roof

Wide view to show the tower and south side

South across the picnic tables 

North side is just storage

Behind is Kinnersley Castle which looks like a post hose to me and in need of some TLC 

The churchyard, I did have a quick wander looking for George Frederick Bodley I gave up as the grass was wet 

After poking around on the net and looking on Britain Express from what I can make out Bodleys tomb is the one you see between the two headstones

The obelisk is Kinnersly War Memorial 

Picnic area with a tomb chest

Near the castle or house there are more tombs, some in a fenced off plot, they all look like they have been forgotten about 

You can read the inscription on this one 

No chance on these ones, behind you cans see a bulge with window, this was a rood staircase 

Inside the porch

Inside the church

 
Wider view

Chancel arch and chancel

Cropped as I wanted to try top show the east window. I wondered why I did not take a photo, I remembered because there was so much light coming through it just turned into glare

The altar and reredos screen

Closer view of the Jacobean altar table and screen

The reredos

Collage of the wood paneling around the reredos

The pulpit, I did like this especially the carvings. The base is Jacobean 

Wide view from the pulpit

Normal view

The rood screen was interesting or what was left of it, obviously been cut down and the posts had roof  bosses put on them. IMO Thomas Nicolson bodged all by removing the upper part of the screen which I think might be the paneling round the altar. It would have had a rood loft, the blocked access is in the south aisle and out side you can see the bulge from it.

The back of the church dominated by this memorial to Dame Anne Morgan the wife of Sir John Morgan 

It was cordoned off due to some masonry falling from above

The inscription on the monument

And the sculpture

The painting on the walls of the church is by Bodley 

I think you can see he worked with William Morris 

Quite a few memorials to see

Some easy to read others not

Sorry I can't make out what it says

Ceiling of the chancel

This is the organ you see the top of

No doubt this fellows tomb slab is under all the Victorian tiles on the floor, the plate belongs to William Leviot a former priest who dies in 1421

This is the west window

Some of the other stained glass to see

Couple of leper windows with doors 

This monument is worth a look at 

The Smalman monument dated 1635

I like all the weepers around the base

Victorian painted arch

Altar in the south aisle 

Window with stained glass inset

The inset glass, I did like this

North aisle east window with the chancel cross from the roof

Closer view of the cross, it's well weathered 

Chandeliers with candles  

Pilgrimage shell 

Close up of the shell 

Looking back up the north aisle

View of the church from the rear arch of the north aisle

The font which looks like it is Victorian 

From the south aisle to the chancel arch

Wider view of the chancel arch

One from the other side, you can see the bulge from the rood loft stair case in line with the Chandelier

Last look at the church. That concludes my tour of churches around Hertfordshire and Wales, I missed one but I can tell you I did visit Garway in the end.

Till next time may I wish you all a peaceful week 


No comments: