Saturday, 5 September 2026

St Peter & St Illtyd, Llanhamlach

 

I've past this church a number of times and for some reason I thought it had been converted in to a hotel or something because of a nearby sign. After looking at the map and checking Google maps i found it was still in use so I managed to stop off on my way back from our caravan.


 There is a church dedicated to the saints Peter and Illtyd, which is noted for an early medieval carving of two exhibitionist figures. There is more history in the National Churches trust 

 The church from just inside the churchyard

From inside the Lychgate it looks more like this 

The north side nearer the porch

East end from the churchyard

South east view

West end showing the bell tower

Iphone showing  the north side

From the churchyard looking north east

This is around the south side of the church from the entrance there

Churchyard along the south side of the church

Going around the north side looking along the path to the lychgate

Churchyard east of the church

Looking north to south

East end looking south

Misplaced headstones

Ivy covered tombs

South looking west 

West of the church looking towards the south entrance

Inside the porch are some tomb slabs and headstones

Inside looking down the nave

Near to the chancel arch

Chancel arch looking in

In the chancel

Altar and east window from the choir stalls

Closer to the altar and east window

The altar and cross

One of the reasons for my visit was to see these painting of the angels I has seen on the web page, I think I should have taken a better shot of them rather than from the center, maybe I'll stop off again going home

 The 14th effigy tomb of 14th effigy tomb of Jane Walbeoffe

The face of Jane Walbeoffe

Niche over to the south side of the chancel 

Looking back though the church

Anther view from the choir stalls

From the chancel arch

The pulpit

View down from it

These carvings are on the chancel arch

But the corbels have them as well

Some of the corbel carvings and from the arch

Chancel ceiling 

Where you can see these boss carvings 

The font may well be older than the present chruch

At the back as you come in your faced with this painted rerdos screen

I should have found out where it came from

This is the carving mentioned in the history

I cropped the photo from the original and enhanced it a bit you should be able to see the man on the left and woman on the right

The information on the stone

Helping hand carving 

Roll of Honour, HMS Cassandra was sunk in 1918 and Seabright Wilmott Jones maybe be the person who fell overboard in the rescue of the men onboard

Couple of the memorials in the church

This one is a bit older

The Mothers Union church banner 

Poppy head carving

The windows are quite pretty to look at with the colored glass

Clarks prayer desk

See these around many churches

Altar cross in front of the window

Organ covered up

I will leave you with this view of the chancel and the angel paintings from the choir stalls

 Till next time have a peaceful weekend


3 comments:

Mary Kirkland said...

I always enjoy the pictures you take of the churches you find.

Bovey Belle said...

I visited this a few years back September 2018 in fact as I've just found my post. I visited mainly for the Moridic Stone, which is so early - 10th or 11th C. There is also a portion of early carved stone built low into the wall of the tower.

Ragged Robin said...

A wonderful church with so many interesting features. The angel wall paintings are lovely and the coloured glass in the windows.