Saturday, 19 January 2013

Famous People


In my travels round the villages to visit churchyards I have come across the graves of some famous people. Most of the churchyards were local to me. This blog was published a couple of years ago but I am republishing it with a couple of updates

I will start with Agatha Christie who is buried in Cholsey Churchyard.

A few miles away in a village called Ewelme you can find the grave of Jerome K Jerome who is famous for writing three men in a boat.

In another direction in a village called Sutton Courtney you will find this grave to Eric Arthur Blair or George Orwell of 1984 fame.

Nearby you can find this grave of Herbert Henry Asquith who was Prime Minister from 1908 to 1916 


In another village near Reading is the grave of this fellow Jethro Tull who was the inventor of the seed drill (not the band) though somehow I doubt this headstone is original.
This grave is in the churchyard at Nuffield and he started Morris Garages or Morris cars as it was known, like him the make has died out but will not be forgotten.
Another inventor like Morris called Maurice Wilkes who came up with the Landrover and who's grave when I was in Anglesea  I visited is buried here


This guy is buried in Goring Cemetery is called Bomber Harris and was in charge of bomber command during the second world ward. Think he was responsible for a lot of bomber crews going to their deaths

 Tommy Sopwith who I have written a blog about.



J R R Tolkiens grave in Oxfor
d in one I have wanted to see but was disapointed when I found it as I thought it was not that well looked after 

The crypt of Disralli at Hughenden one of the famous British Primeministers
 Thats about it for now Have a good Sunday

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic post. I will have to see if I can get to a few of these. Not in this weather though.

    Thank you for linking up with Cemetery Sunday.

    Beneath Thy Feet

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great world renowned people buried locally! Most of the famous graves I find are only locally renowned. And I was pleased that all but the second last were known to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of cool photos -- thanks for sharing on Taphophile Tragics! I like that there's so much variety in all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Agatha Christie stone is very interesting, like the stone carvings. Tom The Backroads Traveler

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your travels are very interesting and this find is one of a kind. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. do folks still do rubbings? you know take a trace of the grave stone? my friend Holli use to do that will charcoal. a very neat kind of art. i would enjoy that of some of these. they have such character. i enjoyed eyeing them. ( :

    ReplyDelete